A friend recently came to me asking for advice with sleep issues. After giving her advice, I realised that many people have this issue and thus decided to write a blog post to help anyone else out there suffering.
As we all know life can be stressful and after a hard day at work it can be difficult to switch off. I have struggled with it myself in the past but with these tips, that I am about to share with you, I have transformed my sleeping habits for the better.
So let’s get down to business…
- Switch off devices- The blue light that is emitted from electronic devices messes with your circadian rhythm and disrupts your sleep hormones, making it more difficult to fall asleep. So turn all devices off or on airplane mode. I recommend doing this at least an hour before bed! I leave my devices in a completely separate room from my bedroom so that I will not be tempted to reach for it once I’m cosy in bed.
- Lights- Create the perfect sleepy environment by turning lights down low. I try to avoid the harsh light of LED lights and use a
Himalayan Salt Lampinstead; these emit a soft warm glow similar to that of a campfire and can also improve the quality of the air and neutralize the effects of electronics. Thus this gets you into the mood to hit the pillow early. Which brings me onto my next tip…
- Get to bed early– This is a big one! So many of us stay up watching TV or our laptops and then find it hard to fall asleep when we are tired. The prime hours for sleeping that have the most impact on our repair processes in the body are between 10pm and 2am, with the first hour being by far the most impactful on our mood the following day. So rather than getting ready for bed at 11 and asleep by 12, start winding down at 9pm… read a book, meditate do whatever you need to do to chill out and without a doubt you will be ready to sleep by 10.30 at the latest. I know crazy right!
Lavender- This plant and its powerful essential oils are well-known for its sleep inducing and relaxing properties. In fact, it is now being added to many of the commercially available pillow mists, to aid with sleep. However, the pillow mists tend to have lots of nasty chemicals in them that we don’t need to be inhaling. So why not go for the pure stuff… I find you only need a few drops on your pillow and thus it last longer. Win-win!
- Read– All of the top influencers and successful business people in the world have one thing in common… they read… at least 50 pages a day. In fact, many of the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies read an average of four to five books a month. Not only is reading great to expand our knowledge but it also helps us to shut off and escape from our possibly stressful work-life and into a world of whatever you may fancy. So take that extra one hour you have added to your bedtime routine to relax and read a few pages.
- Meditate– I know everyone is talking about the relaxing benefits of meditation these days, and you may think it’s too wishy-washy for you, but seriously don’t knock it till you try it! Some other benefits you may not have heard about include improved memory, slowed rate of neurodegenerative diseases, reduced blood pressure, reduced ADHD symptoms, anti-aging effects and much more. Check out the apps Headspace and Insight Timer for guided meditations that are great for beginners.
- Get an old school alarm clock– many of us use our phones for setting an alarm to allow us to get to work or school on time. However, as I mentioned in my first tip we don’t want our phones and their light emissions, or EMFs for that matter, messing with our heads while we sleep. How many of us are guilty for waking up with our phone alarm in the morning and the first things we do is look at our phone and scroll through social media? It’s really not helping us in the long run with our mental health! So get yourself
an old school alarm clock, no digital ones with LED lights people! Now you can wake up with consciousness and affirmations to have a great day and be kind to yourself… how much better is that!
Sweet dreams folks!
Let me know if you’ve implemented any of these tips and what effects they have had in your life!
- To find out more about EMF’s and how they could be effecting you read here
- Need a new healthy hobby to destress? Check out this post for inspiration!
- Want to know more about me? Check out my about page.
- Worried about how to have that important conversation with a friend, colleague or family member? Check out this post.