Welcome back to Changing Pathways!
I’m sure you all know that everything we do in our lives impacts the planet in some way. These days people are becoming more aware that plastic is no good. But do you know some actual facts about plastic? Well let me share with you some particularly interesting facts I found…
- Only one in five plastic bottles are recycled!
- Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year. However, 38 billion of those, more than $1 billion worth of plastic, was not recycled.
- The production of bottled water uses around 6 times as much water per bottle, than the water they contain.
- An analysis conducted by Consumer Reports found that bottled water use for one year could cost $346, but the same amount of tap water would only be 48 cents. If you bought that amount of bottled water for 10 years, the cost would be over $3,400.
- Birds, mammals, and sea turtles sometimes ingest bottle caps, which can cause harm or even death.
- PET bottles are safe only for one use. With additional uses they can leach chemicals into water that may cause cancer or disrupt hormones.
Once I became aware of the effects that plastic is having on our planet, I was devoted to reduce my consumption of plastic. One of the easiest ways I found to reduce a large proportion of my consumption, was to stop buying bottled water. It is clear to see, from the above facts, that ditching bottled water keeps Mother Earth, your body and your wallet happy.
So what can I use instead, I hear you say? Well you can simply use either a glass bottle or a stainless steal flask. When choosing which product I wanted to spend my money on, I considered the quality, materials used and the ethics of the company. Although glass is good in terms of low production impact and biodegradability, it does not have a long life, particularly if you are clumsy like me. Furthermore, it’s a workout in itself to carry around in a bag all day!
So in the end, I decided to go for a stainless steel flask. What brand did I choose? Klean Kanteen! It is a certified B-Corporation that meets high standards of social and environmental transparency, accountability, and performance; they have contributed more than $2 million to environmental organisations dedicated to preserving and restoring wild places, have a green shipping programme to reduce their impact, and all their products are BPA free (not like some plastic bottles) and are available in a range of colours.
What an amazing company! This is what all businesses should strive towards! Would you like to support this company and help the planet? Well you can by buying your very own flask. You can do that
here or here (Disclaimer: if you purchase via amazon, as I am an affiliate-supporting only companies I believe in, a small percentage of the sale will go to help me grow this blog further).
Impact the world today… in a good way!
Love you guys,