As a vegan it can be challenging to find good vegan restaurants, especially if your travelling in a country where it hasn’t caught on much yet, such as Ireland. That’s why I’m here to help… as a Galway local myself I have tried all the restaurants and these are by far the best! I hope you enjoy the list! Leave me a comment below… let’s chat! Now to the good stuff… FOOOOOD!
- The Kitchen Café– this cafe is attached to the galway history museum so is a perfect way to end a trip to the museum. Side note: look out for small concerts that also take place in the museum intermittently. Anyways back to the food… its delicious… they do a few vegan options including a seriously fabulous tofu salad! Think fresh veggies galore!
2. The Lighthouse Café– a specialised vegetarian and vegan cafe with loads of options. Their soup is always good and I recently had their chickpea pancake filled with potato masala and it was mouth-wateringly good! Plus their decor is super cute!
3. Builín Blasta– an Irish language seaside Cafe and Bakery,situated in the heart of Ceardlann Craft Village which is located opposite Spiddal beach, just a short scenic drive from Galway City. Unbeknownst to me, it has actually been listed as one of Ireland’s top 100 restaurants, but I’m not surprised! They have a variety of food to suit everyone. I always go for the vegan lentil Bolognese. It is so delicious. If I haven’t had it in a few weeks I start to crave it again!
4. Cafe Temple– another specialised vegetarian and vegan hippy haven. What I love about this place… they offer ‘donate a coffee’ to someone in need by giving an extra for euros, they also have a beautiful inspirational quote wall. Plus the food is great… they do an amazing vegan hot chocolate too!
5. The Quay Street Kitchen– situated on one of the most popular streets in Galway, it is surrounded by a hub of energy. This place offers great vegan burgers and deserts.
6. The Kasbah Wine Bar– they have a tapas which includes vegan roasted garlic cashew-cheese and bread for dipping and beetroot hummus! Enough said! This is seriously tasty cheese!!!
7. Kai– they always have a tasty vegan option on the menu if you ask. It’s a very popular lunch place, so get there before 12 if you’re going for lunch, but don’t forget they’re also open for dinner. The owner won Masterchef a few years back… so needless to say the food is gooood!
8. Fat Freddy’s– an Italian restaurant with tablecloths and candle sticks on every table. They offer several vegan options including pizza, burritos and quesadilla, all with vegan cheese!! Can you tell vegan cheese isn’t really an option in most places, hence why I’m so excited!
The rest are ones that do not always have vegan options on their menus but if you ask them in advance they will give you a tasty vegan dish no problem.
9. O’gradys– Slightly out of the city a bit, in a village called Barna which is on the border of Connemara, so very idyllic. It is set facing a beautiful quiet pier and beach. This restaurant is one to go to if you have family members that are meat eaters and you don’t mind being exposed to lobsters in the tank. It specialises in fish dishes but they will do you a very tasty vegan menu if you ask in advance.
10. McCambridge’s– one of the most popular lunch spots in Galway, usually always with a queue out the door. It is a grocery store selling organic and artisan products on the bottom floor and upstairs is their restaurant.
11. Dela– When I was at this restaurant before, they made me a delicious mezze platter of falafel, marinated and fried tofu, hummuus, olives, etc. It was seriously tasty and definitley not like you average mezze.
12. Ard Bia at Nimmo’s– A popular spot so definitely book a few days before. They offer unique dishes such as their savoury stuffed chickpea pancake, much nicer than always having risotto! Am I right!?
Have you tried any of these restaurants? What did you think? Leave your comments below!
Love, Aoife X